Cipro and Dysphagia - from FDA reports
Dysphagia is found among people who take Cipro, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma. This review analyzes which people have Dysphagia with Cipro. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 20,569 people who have side effects when taking Cipro from FDA , and is updated regularly.
20,569 people reported to have side effects when taking Cipro.
Among them, 360 people (1.75%) have Dysphagia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Cipro when people have Dysphagia *:
- < 1 month: 71.43 %
- 1 - 6 months: 14.29 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 14.29 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Dysphagia when taking Cipro *:
- female: 66.19 %
- male: 33.81 %
Age of people who have Dysphagia when taking Cipro *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.32 %
- 10-19: 2.92 %
- 20-29: 2.6 %
- 30-39: 4.22 %
- 40-49: 17.53 %
- 50-59: 33.77 %
- 60+: 38.64 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 36 people, 10.00%
- Pain: 24 people, 6.67%
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints): 17 people, 4.72%
- Stress And Anxiety: 15 people, 4.17%
- Hypercalcaemia Of Malignancy (elevated calcium (ca+) level in the blood with cancer): 13 people, 3.61%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Zometa: 145 people, 40.28%
- Lasix: 118 people, 32.78%
- Aredia: 116 people, 32.22%
- Levaquin: 115 people, 31.94%
- Protonix: 94 people, 26.11%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain: 164 people, 45.56%
- Stress And Anxiety: 162 people, 45.00%
- Weakness: 157 people, 43.61%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 142 people, 39.44%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 135 people, 37.50%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Cipro and have Dysphagia?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Dysphagia
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- C-reactive protein, (crp) quantitative ($52.00) Add to cart
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Glucose, serum ($35.00) Add to cart
- Hcg (pregnancy) qualitative, serum (human chorionic gonadotropin) females only ($53.00) Add to cart
- Rheumatoid arthritis (ra) factor ($46.00) Add to cart
- Sedimentation rate ($47.00) Add to cart
- Thyroid panel with tsh plus free t3 and free t4 ($99.00) Add to cart
- Urinalysis, complete with microscopic examination ($39.00) Add to cart
Cipro has active ingredients of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from Cipro 22,720 users)
Dysphagia (condition in which swallowing is difficult or painful) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, pain, depression (latest reports from 59,155 Dysphagia patients).
Drugs that are associated with DysphagiaDysphagia (2,949 drugs)
Could your condition cause DysphagiaDysphagia (2,769 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsDysphagia and drugs with ingredients of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. (386 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeDysphagia and Cipro from FDA and eHealthMe reports (88 reports)
Cipro side effects
- Cipro side effects (20,580 reports)
Browse all side effects of Ciproa b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Crouse EL, Alastanos JN, Bozymski KM, Toscano RA, "Dysphagia with second-generation antipsychotics: A case report and review of the literature", Mental Health Clinician, 2017 Jan .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Cipro and have Dysphagia
- Support group for people who have Dysphagia
- Support group for people who take Cipro
Can you answer these questions
- After taking 4 rounds of Cipro I developed unbearable sciatic nerve. What helps most with this condition?
- I have been taking 75mg of Aspirin since my heart attack on the 6th December 2016. I have had pain on swallowing for three months, I changed from dispersable to enteric coated a month ago, at first that was fine but now the pain has returned. The only other drug I am is Ticagrelor with ends in...
- can ciprofloxacin side effects lead to lost of body weight ?
- Is it possible that dysphagia can be induced by migraines? Thank you very much!
- I am a 45 yr old female recently diagnosised with Relapsing Polychondritis. I have used cipro as my primary antibiotic for ear and sinus infections since 2008 and occasionally used before then. Reaching out to see if any other's have had RP diagnosised after regularly using Cipro. By...
You may be interested in these posts
- Just realizing that my fibromyalgia may have been induced by repeated courses of Cipro for diverticulitis.
- I have my injections into the back of my neak 80 mls each side . As my dr had to lower my dose to 80mls from 100mls each side due to swelling in my throat and making it hard to swallowing water and food as i was starting to choke . ALICIA ITALIANO Mundijong
- When I first experienced the inability to swallow after sneezing it was the most terrifying thing ever. The more I tried to swallow the worse it became. I continue to have this problem, but I've learned how to get through it. After sneezing I remain calm, and avoid swallowing, for as long as...
- Hi, My name is Michael. I am 72 years old with a long history of GI issues and Diabetes. I was recently diagnosed with Gastroparesis. I began taking Reglan on 03/08/18, Seemed to be effective, but I began having side effects of dizziness, drowsiness and general lethargy. After 16 doses of 10 mg ...
- Hi, I'm new to the group, started contrave weeks ago and in last month started having issues swallowing. I made a Dr. appt but then someone said these problems started after i started contrave. So I'm wondering if others have the same issue and what about contrave causes the problem.
- Will you have Tb with Haldol?
- Will you have Pain - Hip with Sambilata?
- Will you have Dyskinesia with Zoloft?
- Will you have Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Increased with Aspirin?
- Will you have Lactation Puerperal Increased with Enbrel?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Haldol and have Tb?
- Support group for people who take Sambilata and have Pain - Hip?
- Support group for people who take Zoloft and have Dyskinesia?
- Support group for people who take Aspirin and have Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Increased?
- Support group for people who take Enbrel and have Lactation Puerperal Increased?
- What to expect when you take Haldol and have Tb?
- What to expect when you take Sambilata and have Pain - Hip?
- What to expect when you take Zoloft and have Dyskinesia?
- What to expect when you take Aspirin and have Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Increased?
- What to expect when you take Enbrel and have Lactation Puerperal Increased?
- A study for a 41 year old man who takes Septra
- A study for a 45 year old man who takes Losartan, Escitalopram Oxalate, Trazodone Hydrochloride
- A study for a 71 year old woman who takes Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Pfizerpen Vk
- Drug comparison of Ativan, Gamma Amino Butyric Acid for a 24 year old man
- A study for a 45 year old woman who takes Carafate, Geodon, Clonazepam, Ativan, Lamictal, Linzess, Dexilant
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.