Coumadin and Shingles - from FDA reports
Shingles is found among people who take Coumadin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aredia, and have Multiple myeloma. This review analyzes which people have Shingles with Coumadin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 105,023 people who have side effects when taking Coumadin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
105,023 people reported to have side effects when taking Coumadin.
Among them, 613 people (0.58%) have Shingles
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Coumadin when people have Shingles *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 50.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 16.67 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 33.33 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Shingles when taking Coumadin *:
- female: 59.93 %
- male: 40.07 %
Age of people who have Shingles when taking Coumadin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.42 %
- 10-19: 0.42 %
- 20-29: 1.04 %
- 30-39: 2.08 %
- 40-49: 13.93 %
- 50-59: 23.91 %
- 60+: 58.21 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 117 people, 19.09%
- Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break): 72 people, 11.75%
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (primary high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart): 59 people, 9.62%
- Pain: 58 people, 9.46%
- Metastases To Bone (cancer spreads to bone): 42 people, 6.85%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aredia: 230 people, 37.52%
- Zometa: 220 people, 35.89%
- Decadron: 120 people, 19.58%
- Lasix: 117 people, 19.09%
- Levaquin: 111 people, 18.11%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain: 262 people, 42.74%
- Stress And Anxiety: 225 people, 36.70%
- Osteonecrosis Of Jaw (death of bone of jaw): 212 people, 34.58%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 202 people, 32.95%
- Weakness: 200 people, 32.63%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Coumadin and have Shingles?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Shingles
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Glucose, serum ($35.00) Add to cart
- Thyroid panel with tsh plus free t3 and free t4 ($99.00) Add to cart
Coumadin has active ingredients of warfarin sodium. It is often used in blood clots. (latest outcomes from Coumadin 109,191 users)
Shingles (a painful, contagious rash caused by the chickenpox virus) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, crohn's disease (latest reports from 40,551 Shingles patients).
Drugs that are associated with ShinglesShingles (2,141 drugs)
Could your condition cause ShinglesShingles (1,630 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsShingles and drugs with ingredients of warfarin sodium. (958 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeShingles and Coumadin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Coumadin side effects
- Coumadin side effects (105,083 reports)
Browse all side effects of Coumadina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Coumadin and have Shingles
- Support group for people who have Shingles
- Support group for people who take Coumadin
Can you answer these questions
- Did anyone stop taking cellcept with shingles?
- I used Coumadin for 12 years my face is red. I also take amiadorone.
- Anybody on this site or I’m a alone!!!!
- is there a connection between starting to take Gliclacide and developing disseminated shingles on the lower right side of the body, especially affecting the joints? This is for a 70+ yr old male.
- Can Coumadin cause a false decrease in the ESR test? I have Lupus. My ESR was always in the 40s and up until I was put in Coumadin. Now, even though my symptoms have increased profoundly, my ESR remains in normal range.
You may be interested in these posts
- I’m a 48 year and 11 month old female as of May 14, 2018. I recently experienced my first shingles outbreak a couple of weeks ago. I have 6 or 7 blister areas on my left hip in a small circle. My physician diagnosed the affected area as shingles. I’m on the down hill side of shingles. My...
- I’m a 26 year old male, and I’ve had recurring shingle flare-ups multiple times each year for the past four years.
- I have endometriosis and was diagnosed with shingles now didnt know it was related
- May have had internal shingles for 3 weeks. Is there any value to taking acyclovir now?
- Following 4 weeks using Aldara 5% I have had Shingles, vitreous gel detachment eye, sudden osteoarthritis in both knees. Prior to using this cream I was in excellent health
- Will you have Idiopathic Hypersomnia with Pepcid Ac?
- Corzide and Fosamax drug interaction
- Will you have Corneal Epithelial Microcysts with Pycnogenol?
- Will you have Herpes Zoster with Coumadin?
- Will you have Shingles with Coumadin?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Pepcid Ac and have Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
- Support group for people who take Corzide and Fosamax
- Support group for people who take Pycnogenol and have Corneal Epithelial Microcysts?
- Support group for people who take Coumadin and have Herpes Zoster?
- Support group for people who take Coumadin and have Shingles?
- What to expect when you take Pepcid Ac and have Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
- What to expect when you take Corzide and Fosamax
- What to expect when you take Pycnogenol and have Corneal Epithelial Microcysts?
- What to expect when you take Coumadin and have Herpes Zoster?
- What to expect when you take Coumadin and have Shingles?
- A study for a 39 year old woman who takes Tysabri, Ampyra, Vitamin D3
- A study for a 44 year old woman who takes Lymecycline
- A study for a 29 year old woman who takes Adderall 20, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Buspar, Wellbutrin Xl
- Drug comparison of Flecainide Acetate, Keppra for a 19 year old boy
- A study for a 50 year old woman who takes Ursodiol, Spironolactone W/ Hydrochlorothiazide, Vyvanse, Duloxetine Hydrochloride
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.